Friday, November 04, 2005

Success Story

My first months of teaching have been filled with many success stories. My 5th period inclusion class is finally going smoothly. I have gone from 18 not doing homework to 3. I have finally created a plan that works for them.

In addition, I have been working with a young man who had a 37 average in my room first nine weeks. I talked with him on several occasions. It finally occurred to me that he simply needed some positive praise in his life. All of his teachers have met with both his mother and father (they are divorced). His dad took his truck away from him. This finally did some good. However, his mother became a softy and gave him the truck back. So, we were back to square one. Anyway, to make a long story short, I talked with this kid, and he now has a 72 in my class! No, it is not great, but it is certainly a huge accomplishment. Needless to say, I consider this a success.

The actual success that I want to talk about is a young man in my Trans. to Algebra class. He is an inclusion student, and he does not have a good home life. A few months ago, he told some of his teachers that he greatly enjoyed my class. So, I was asked to serve as a role model for him. He does not have a good home life by any means. His strategies class is third period, the same period as my planning period. So, from time to time, I go into his strategies class and help him out if he needs it.

On Monday, we took a test in my room. He made a 100! I was so excited. I went into his 3rd period class, and I told him the good news. He was so excited. In addition, his strategies teacher bragged on him over and over. He was so proud. Since he had done all his work, his teacher told him to go with me to my room to help me out. When we went back to my room, I calculated his average. He had a 102 in my room! He was so excited again! During class, he ran up to the strategies teacher and asked her if she knew what his average was. He was so proud of his work.

Yesterday, we actually got to sit down and talk. He told me that in his life, he had moved 16 times. Most of the times, he did not remember. In addition, he told me that he never really understood math; however, this year was different. He said that it was as if I explained math in a way that he totally understood what I was talking about. I finally realized that this was the one success that all teachers hoped to reach. I had actually finally reached a student.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home