Monday, July 18, 2005

Team Teaching

As I reviewed my taped lesson, I saw both good and bad qualities. I realized that over-all, the lesson was pretty good. However, I also noticed some items that I need some work. My lesson was on the Distributive Property of Real Numbers. I began the lesson with boardwork about the previous lesson. I believe that the boardwork is very beneficial to the students. I gave good descriptions and directions regarding the boardwork. However, it took a little too much time. This is one of the items that needs some work. I believe the most simple thing to do is to set a timer for 5 minutes. After that, we will have 2 or 3 minutes to discuss boardwork. We will then need to move on to the current lesson.

I believe that my lesson had some really good qualities. During my set, I told the students something about myself. Since the lesson was on the distributive property, I talked about a distributor on a dairy farm. When I was young, my uncle owned and operated a dairy farm. I remember that he used a distributor on the farm. It would evenly distribute the feed to the animals. So, I drew a parallel between this machine and the distributive property. Thus, I was telling the students something about my life.

I had good movement around the room, and I evenly called on the students to answer questions. I also checked for understanding by telling the students to raise their right hand for one answer and their left hand for a different answer. I believe that this will be very effective. In addition, I also showed great excitement about the subject. I had excellent hand gestures, and I tried to get the students involved, as well. I had them working at the board and calling answers out to me. I have been told numerous times that I fit the teacher persona. To be honest, when I reviewed my tape, I believe that I do have a good teacher persona. I have a very strong voice, and I can be heard by everyone in the room.

As I said, there are some items that need some work. The boardwork took too much time. I need to learn to "cut it off" and move on with the new lesson. In addition, while I was using the overhead, part of the board was not erased. Thus, it became a little confusing to the students. I need to make sure that the board is fully erased when using the overhead. I also need to work on some of my math terminology. I need to make sure and distinguish between simplify and solve. If a student is simplifying a problem, there is not an equal sign. I just need to make sure that this is clear to the students. Watching this lesson provided me with some good feedback. I believe that as time moves forward, I will become an even more effective teacher.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home