Sunday, June 19, 2005

The Reluctant Disciplinarian

The Reluctant Disciplinarian by Gary Rubinstein is an excellent book. It contains funny, but accurate information about a teacher’s first years. As I read the book, I began to think back to how some of my former teachers handled their own classrooms. Since I decided to become an educator, I have visited with many teachers. They offered some of the same advice as Rubinstein.
In his book, Rubinstein mentions that all teachers need to perfect "the teacher look." Mrs. Jackie Carver, an educator, also told me that a good teacher look will be very beneficial to me. Mrs. Jackie Carver certainly possesses the teacher look. Although she never taught me, she did help raise me. I remember how Ms. Jackie could simply look at us in church, and we would instantly stop whatever we were doing. She definitely had a gift. When she would look at me, it would send chills all the way down my back. I knew to instantly act right, or there would be major consequences. To this day, I still dread the "Ms. Jackie Look." I hope to acquire this look and use it to my full advantage.
Also, Rubinstein says that yelling at students does not work. He is absolutely correct. A few months ago, I visited my former math teacher. (She actually retired this year with 30 plus years.) She said that yelling at a class never works. I remember that she never raised her voice in class; however, her classroom was always under control. She even had excellent classroom management skills. In short, yelling does not help manage a classroom. If anything, it helps to lose control of a classroom.
Gary Rubinstein’s book provides some major insight for first year teachers. It provides good advice, and it can serve as a guide for new teachers. It serves as an outline for what teachers should and should not do during their first days and weeks. The main thing to remember is that the ideas inside this book are accurate because Mr. Rubinstein has already seen his mistakes. He knows what does and does not work. Thus, as a new teacher, I will use his experiences and advice. I found that the answer section at the back of the book was very beneficial. It provides answers to common questions that first year teachers have. In short, I found that Gary Rubinstein’s Reluctant Disciplinarian is an excellent tool for new teachers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home