Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Video-taped Lesson Plan

I have never liked to brag on myself, but this time, I may have to. As I watched the video, I saw someone that I had never seen before that day. I was actually watching myself as a teacher. I suddenly realized that I was teaching the future generations, and I thought that I was doing a pretty good job of it.

As I watched the tape, I noted many items. I began the day with five problems for boardwork. The boardwork was review problems from the previous day’s lesson. I spent a great deal of time on boardboard. I actually spent a little too much time on the review of the previous day. I guess I wanted to make sure that the kids fully grasped the concept from the previous day because it was connected directly to my lesson. Next time, I will try to shorten my review some.

As I watched the video, it appeared that I had a lot of energy (although I was not feeling well that day), and I was excited about the material that I was presenting. In addition, I tried to bring the material to the student’s level. I always like to connect math to the real world. That way, kids cannot say, “I will never use this.” With this particular lesson, we were studying about solving inequalities. So, I used this analogy. We pretended that one of the students was a truck driver who hauled logs. The student had to cross a bridge with his loaded log truck. I gave the students the weight of the truck (800 pounds) and the weight limit of the bridge (2,000 pounds). I then asked the students to express how many logs could be hauled as an inequality. The students quickly realized that the truck could pass safely over the bridge with logs less than or equal to 1,200 pounds in weight. As I said, I like to connect the kids’ learning to real world experiences. This was the only one that I used for this lesson. I would actually like to have used more real-world experiences in my set.

As I taught the lesson, I got a lot of feedback from the students. I asked them many questions. I wanted to make sure that they understood what I was saying. I asked questions such as, “Why is this so?” I wanted to check for their understanding. I even assigned them certain problems to work. While they worked, I walked around the room and observed their work. I could then assist them one on one if they needed more help.

Overall, I believe that I did a good job of teaching my lesson. I developed the set, presented the procedure, checked for their understanding, and closed the lesson. I believe that I was fully prepared for the lesson. In addition, I believe that I presented the material in a form that the students could understand and grasp. I do, however, see some areas that need some improvement. I need to work with time management, and I need to offer some other words of praise other than “Good.” However, overall, I believe that my video of teaching was a success.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home