Sunday, June 26, 2005

Cold-Calling Experiment

On Thursday, I used the cold-calling experiment with 7th and 8th grade math. I began by writing each student’s name on a card. I gave them a worksheet to do during class. Once they completed (or were suppose to have completed) the worksheet, I used cold-calling to go over the worksheet. The students were sort of "taken off guard" by my experiment. Some of them began to frantically work through the problems just in case they were called on. In addition, I had one student who was beginning to doze off. As I began the process of calling out the names, he instantly "woke up, " and he began to pay close attention.

I found the cold-calling experiment to be very helpful and beneficial. There are many benefits to this method. First, every student is called on at some point. Thus, you do not get the same students answering the questions over and over. Second, it checks to make sure that the students have done their work. As I call on each student, I can see what type of responses they are giving me. Thus, I can gain a simple assessment of who did their work and who did not. Third, it encourages students to do their work. If students know that they will be called on in class, they are much more likely to do their work. Lastly, students have to actually pay attention in class because they never know when their name may be called. Because of all these benefits, I plan on using the cold-calling method in my classroom. I believe that it keeps a check on the students’ activities and knowledge.

1 Comments:

Blogger Monroe said...

David,
Glad cold-calling worked so well for you.

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home